Running a standalone as a W2K service

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Apr 2 23:56:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 09:16 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> So, how'd you go about it?

I used srvany.exe to run the standalone as a service.  It and
documentation is in the W2K resource kit.  (If you can find
servany, but not the help, let me know and I give a few tips.)  I
couldn't get srvany.exe to work right by putting the standalone
path into the "Start Parameters" field in services; I had to change
the registry.  (I didn't use Revolution to change the registry, I
wasn't sure whether it could add keys.)

I put my startup code in a handler named startup in the stack.
This starts the send cycles and will eventually start the comm
cycles.

I was able to run the service with or without a GUI and with or
without network communication (UDP broadcast for testing).  (The
common wisdom is that Microsoft won't let you do both, so I don't
know what I did for that.)  There is a check box in services which
controls this:  "Allow services to interact with desktop."  While
you are logged out, the GUI is invisible.

I haven't tested whether openCard or openStack are called when the
GUI is turned off.

If you know you will not need the GUI you might see if the service
loads faster if you make the stack invisible.  I haven't tested
this.  (I imagine the standalone going through the motions of
painting, but the painting having no effect.)

I haven't set up the dependencies yet.  I don't think I have to
since TCP/IP loads as a driver before the services.

I bet one could run the simple chat demo as a service this way.

That's all I know and perhaps a little more.

Dar Scott