Revolution for CGI Scripts

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Apr 2 20:54:01 EST 2002

on 4/1/02 7:58 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com at
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> On Monday, April 1, 2002, at 01:30 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> It's great you will love it... forget PERL.
>
> Cool!  I am confused about a couple things, though.
>
> 1.
> Why is there no quit in your examples?

These scripts are running on a remote server... there is no GUI as you
understand it. just a) the engine b) the scripts... no interface as such.
> 2.
> I thought put <expr> went to the message box.  Why this instead of
> writing to stdout?

my stack is not really an interface for the CGI as you would understand
it... the stack has a field  which holds the script... it has a button that
opens a socket and FTP's the script to the site and set's CHMOD to 755. Then
another button simply does "Get URL "http://www.oursite.org/cgi-bin/rev.cgi"

Now, this "triggers" the CGI to  run... if it is expecting to receive data
you would have to use POST and send some data. "Put" is equivalent to
writing to stdout." and thus, if you called the same URL from a browser,
assuming you send the correct http header to stnout first, the browser would
display any returned data... in the case of doing it inside a rev stack..
the "trigger" script looks like this:

on mouseup
  set the cursor to 4
  put  "http://"& fld "host" &"/cgi-bin/" & fld "cgi filename"  into tCGI
  get url tCGI
  put it into fld "returned_data"
end mouseUp

> 3.
> Does the stack need to be invisible?  Other?
 It will be in the sense that there is no GUI as such... it's just lines of
code in a file on the site, Apache's CGI infrastructure points the GET to
the script, the script calls the MC/REV engine to interpret the script.

> If I'm really confused about Revolution and CGI, I hope these
> questions give some indication about where I am confused.
And to answer the other questions posed:

Should be able to run this on any web server that has an OS that will run
Metacard. Note, for webstar on a Mac it's more complicated... you have to
use apple Events, but you can run it pretty much as I described on a Mac OSX
server...

Since you can use the engine for free... there is not a lot of urgency to
put together the documentation for this.

Recommend you search the archives of the metacard list for "CGI" and ".mt"
and carefully review everything...
> Dar Scott

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml