A really stupid newbie question

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Apr 2 17:30:01 EST 2002

This is an area where Revolution needs some more work to make it as good
as HyperCard but there is a way. In the Development menu, choose Script
Debug mode. Using the popups, find the script you want to step through.
Click on a line in that script and it will turn red. This is effectively
setting a breakpoint. Now you can either click Send Message to start
that handler or you can leave the debug window open and do whatever you
do in your stack to get to that script. If you close the debug window,
the breakpoint will NOT break.

Once your script gets to the red line, it will stop and wait for you.
Bring the debug window to the front and use the Step buttons to proceed.
The variables are all listed in the bottom section of the debug window
and can be edited. You can also set another breakpoint and use Run to go
to that line without stepping.

One thing the window is missing is an Abort button. Command-period
doesn't seem to do anything while waiting for a step so the only way out
is to click Run or Run to end and then press Command-period.

While you're in that window, check out the Timing stuff which is very
neat and good for showing which bits of your script are slowing you down.

Cheers,
Sarah