[Use-revolution] Re: [a bit OT] instant messaging protocol

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Nov 27 23:18:01 EST 2001

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> does anyone know if any of the relatively well established instant messaging
> protocols are documented?  I want to implement a client in Rev (which can
> take special action in response to some messages) but ideally it would use a
> standard protocol so it could interact with standard clients.
>
> TIA,

The AIM client is NOT published, however it has been reverse engineered.

Looking at the source for such a client would lead to a description of
the protocol.  Look at "TiK" which is written in the TCL programming
language - it is a relatively simple language to learn.

There is also Jabber, which is not as popular but which does have a
published protocol.

./patrick