[Use-revolution] Re: Networking

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 14:16:01 EST 2001

>Hi
>
>I'm sorry if this is a but out of the realm but as we are all cross platform
>developers:
>
>I'm setting up a LAN with a Win XP, Win 98 and Mac OS 8.6. I can't see the
>shared hard drive on the Mac but I can on the others. All computers are
>using the net connection fine.
>
>I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do this with or without third party
>software??????
>
>Best regards
>
>Monte

How are you sharing between Windows and Macs?  There are two main ways:

1) treat your network as a PC network and install Dave on the Mac

2) treat your network as a Mac network and install PC MacLAN on the
PCs (this is what I've done)

As far as I'm aware you can't share folders, printers etc. without
installing something on either the PCs or the Macs.  PC MacLAN is
quite expensive at 150-200UKP per system.  Dave is cheaper at about
100UKP per system.  I'm not aware of any freeware/shareware
alternatives.

On the Mac, make sure that the TCP/IP control panel is set to use
Ethernet rather than AppleTalk(MacIP), otherwise things don't work
fully.

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk