Opening a PDF

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Dec 31 12:56:01 EST 2001

Dan,

On Windows, you can use the shell() command, like this:

    set the hideConsoleWindows to true
    get shell("C:\mypdf.pdf")

On a Mac, you can use AppleScript to do it:

    tell application "Finder"
      open file "My Hard Disk:mypdf.pdf"
    end tell

using the "do <script> as applescript" command.

To find out if Acrobat is installed, you can check (on Windows) the
following registry key:

    get
queryRegistry("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell\open\command\")

which will give you the path to the currently installed version of Acrobat
(you'll have to strip out quotes and %1 parameters, but you get the idea).

I'm not sure of the best way to see if Mac Acrobat is installed other than
looking where is *should* be. Perhaps there's an AppleScript that can be
used?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com