Mac/Windows Fonts

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Dec 6 23:16:01 EST 2001

Sarah,

Actually, both Mac and Windows use different dpi's for screen resolution. If
you're on a 17" monitor and choose to view at 640 x 480 you get a rather low
dpi (probably around 50 or so) but if you choose a 1024 x768 resolution you
get a much higher dpi.

The difference in the fonts between the two is how the fonts are mapped from
one system to the other. Indeed, you can perform the same script as you
demonstrated if you wish to dynamically scale the fonts. It would be helpful
if there was some documentation regarding how different fonts are mapped on
the different platforms. For instance Windows Arial maps to Mac Helvetica (I
suppose). I hope such documentation exists.

-Chipp