Serial communication

John johng at cablespeed.com
Sun Dec 2 19:28:01 EST 2001

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 03:19 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I have sucessfully sent & received through a serial port, only with Mac
> OS
> 9.1 but I don't see why it wouldn't work with OS X.
>
> The Keyspan adapter allows it's port 1 to be referred to as "printer:"
> so
> that should work without any problem.

Snip...

      Having access to a single serial port would in most cases be
adequate I suppose.  It would be nice (and in some cases necessary) to
access all of the available serial ports.  This is allowed under
Windows.  I have seen suggestions that it is possible via Apple Script
but this seems something of a workaround. Does anyone know if full
access to all available serial ports is planned in the future for the
Mac and Linux?  I know that no development environment has everything
but this seems like a rather basic omission.

Thanks,
John Miskimins