CGI in Mac Classic (8.6)

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 20:18:00 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I am currently experimenting with MacOS-Classic CGIs.
I want to thank Liang Tyan and Robert for their help.
The *script* provided in Liang Tyan's reply was
particularly useful to me. I've got a MC-based CGI now
running on my server. Awesome! :))

New problem : so far, the CGI only works when the
client is a web-browser. When the client is a MetaCard
stack it become buggy. When the version of the
client-side stack is 2.4 then nothing happens. No
error dialogs, but also no results whatsoever. When
the version of the client-side stack is 2.5 then it
does was it is supposed to, but only on the *first*
try. On subsequent tries with v2.5, MC says "error :
previous request not completed". I wait a while, and a
"socket timeout" dialog appears ... everytime!!!  What
is going on ???

Inference : It seems like a socket is being remaining
open that needs to be closed. This is not something we
would normally need to attend to when we're using
simple syntax like "put url myURL". Therefore, I
believe that it is a BUG [for MacOS-Classic]. I hope
I'm wrong and that there is something simple that I am
overlooking.

Help!

Alain Farmer