CGI in Mac Classic (8.6)

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 21:34:01 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I have created dozens of HyperCard-based CGI programs.
I am good at it. But as you all know HyperCard only
runs on a Mac and, more to the point, Mac-based CGI
programs react to the web by handling a particular
Apple event, e.g. on AppleEvent. And the CGI ends with
the command "reply" once the HTML has been built
line-by-line. My problem is adapting this knowledge to
MetaCard on the same Mac. This is specifically what I
need to know:

1. Does MetaCard implement CGIs on a MacOS-Classic
(8.6) by supporting the same "on appleEvent" mechanism
?

2. Is "get appleEvent data with <keyword>" supported?

3. Can I convert my HyperCard-based CGI to a MC-based
CGI merely by opening my HC-stack with MetaCard?

4. Are there one or more ready-made examples of
MC-based CGI programs for MacOS-Classic?

5. What is the minimal set of HTTP-response-headers
that CGIs created with MetaCard 2.4+ are required to
provide? Btw these headers were not necessary in MC
2.3, but now they are essential.

Thanks you kindly for any help you may provide me to
get over this initial hurdle in my mastery of
MetaCard. I've created an entire GUI with MetaCard
(e.g. FreeGUI), and I am currently creating three
blogging stacks (2 clients and a server), but, so far,
I have not mastered its CGI abilities. Please help me
( a fellow altruist who will be sharing his blogging
stacks with the MC community ).

Regards,

Alain Farmer

PS: A working sample script would be ideal.  :)