stupid Linux tricks

andu undo at cloud9.net
Wed Jun 18 14:03:00 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 10:40:50 -0700 Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> andu wrote:
>
>> --On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 09:59:20 -0700 Richard Gaskin
>> <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How does one associate file types with applications on Linux?
>>
>> That depends on the desktop manager but generally via mime types.
>
> How do I get a tar file to set MIME types?

Mime info is preset in a file checked by the desktop manager when you do
something with that file (i.e. click on it). What desktop manager you use?
I'm not very knowledgeable with kde or gnome settings on this since I use
rox. I imagine you want to untar a file by clicking on it or popup the
application to do it for you.