Fwd: altBrowser Question and MAC version of altBrowser...

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Jun 16 05:42:01 EDT 2003

Dan Shafer a écrit :

> >--On Sunday, June 15, 2003 19:06:46 -0700 Dan Shafer <dan at eclecticity.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> And I would prefer a product I pay for and which is therefore supported
> >> to a free, Open Source solution for which I'd be on my own for support.
> >>

> >This is a little off subject but you don't seem to have it very clear about
> >open source software versus payed for, and support. I've been using both
> >free operating system and software for more then I can remember and support
> >was as good as metacard's which is the only not free one with still good
> >support. All the tips we share on this list amount to free software. Most
> >of the web that you use comes from free software: server, server side
> >scripting, databases, browser, email, you name it.
> >Doing some research before repeating Microsoft's mantra may prove
> >beneficial to your mental health. This idea that you get what you pay for
> >is so outdated that I'm surprised some people still remember it.
> >
> And perhaps you'd benefit by doing a bit of research and careful reading before firing off such a silly comment.
>
> First, my observation didn't imply that Open Source software support is poor, only that I'd prefer to pay for software than to end up with a poorly supported Open Source product in this case.
>
> Second, you couldn't necessarily know this but I'm one of the beset-known Microsoft attack dogs on the planet. I am not spouting their mantra and I'm sure as hell not backing their strategy.
>
> Careful reading is preferable to flames.
>
> >Regards, Andu Novac

Hi All,

Beside MC, i use as my core development tool to build Web's and ERP's
apps, all the components i need and use to do my job are free and very
well supported pieces of software : Linux (Suse, YellowDog), Apache 1.3
to 2.0, PHP 3/4, PostgreSQL 7.xx, Netscape, Mozilla, HTMLDoc,
Javascript, the Bash,... What my clients are waiting for are not only
licensied products but mostly development, integration and support and,
i'm sure it's the right way a respected client have to pay for : only a
small amont of the payments are always about the end-user licensing of
my products, just to let all remember that, i hold, to the end, the
copyrights on the stuffs i'm designing and developing...
--
Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Serveurs d'applications et SGBD Web et PGI
Penser et produire l'avantage compétitif