Players, playing data from RAM

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 09:00:00 EDT 2003

At 2:25 pm +0200 12/6/03, Scott Rossi wrote:
>On 6/12/03 1:39 PM, "Dave Cragg" <dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  My main question is whether there is a way to play audio data through
>>  a Player object without linking the Player to an external file or url.
>>
>>  I think the answer is no, but I'm really hoping I've missed something.
>
>I would guess "no" but a few questions first...
>
>Is this for Mac or Windows or both?

Windows right now.

>Are you relying on QuickTime?  If so, what version?  What version of MC?

I have to assume no QuickTime. (MP3 will play on Windows without QT
if WMP 6.4 or later is installed.)

>>  I developed a language learning application that plays a conversation
>>  as a series of audio clips. Originally the clips were in au format
>>  and were played with the "play audioclip" command. When one clip
>>  ended, the next was played. All the clips for a single conversation
>>  were imported to a single stack. Open the stack (downloaded from an
>>  ftp or http server) and the clips are all in RAM. This worked fine,
>>  and the playback was seamless.
>
>Next question would be, do you have to use MP3?  If you can't use au, is WAV
>possible?

It has to be MP3 for the following reasons:

File size (weighting = 2)
Sound Quality vs compressed au (weighting = 1)
Buzzword compliance (weighting = 3)
Client says so (weighting = out of range)

Come on, Scott. Where are these questions leading? Do you know something? :)

Cheers
Dave