php & wikis

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 23:42:00 EDT 2003

Hello David and y'all,

> Found another one recently: did you know that the
> first Wiki was developed in HyperCard... then the
> guy looked at porting it to MC...

Not developped "in" HyperCard. Only *inspired* by it.
Btw, the guy's name is Ward Cunningham, he's a
colleague of Kent Beck (which visited us recently
while he was on tour); together, they started the
whole trend of "Agile" methodologies, e.g. Rapid
Application Development (RAD), not unlike what we're
used to with HyperCard.

> Take a look at this about the history of wikis
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiHistory

Check out this page of their wiki too:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?HyperCard

It's a wiki, so I took the liberty of adding my own
bit at the end of the page. It seemed like a good
place to plug FreeCard because (1) FreeCard is being
programmed in Java, (2) the methodology used is the
same one being used by the members and promoters of
this wiki, e.g. XP, and (3) I am a *member* of the XP
group being hosted on this wiki. Small world, eh!  :))

PS: Blogs are very hot right now. FreeCard has its own
blog now, at : http://www.communautic.uqam.ca/blog/ .
A blog is similar to a wiki, and many existing blogs
were crafted with wiki source-code. But the 'kicker'
is that all blogs (& apparently some wikis too) can be
remotely controlled via any client that supports
XML-RPC, and ... I've just started a project to craft
such a client with MetaCard. IOW, you will soon be
able to use my MC-stack to edit blogs and wikis, from
within MetaCard & FreeGUI, without the need for a
*separate* web-browser or e-mail client.

It's all coming together. What a trip!  :))

Alain Farmer