New licensing

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Sep 18 13:09:41 EDT 2024

Well I didn’t want to post this on the main list for reasons that will become obvious.

First, any apps you create with Classic will still operate under the old license. I have been assured that if I create and distribute an app the last day of the classic licensing, the distributed apps will continue to function, so no worries there. Up until sometime in 2027 you should still be good.

What to do after that is the issue. Certain LC developers have forked the LC build based upon the Open Licensing of Livecode. It functions so far as I can tell just like the commercial version of LC, but of course any changes made to LC prior to the fork will of course not be in the Open xTalk build.

For instance LC *finally* incorporated inline custom behaviors for Datagrids, something I take full advantage of. But unfortunately, it did not make it into the fork, and the OXT devs do not appear to think it worth it to replicate the work, even though it is quite simple to do. I will have to do considerable refactoring to make my main project work.

So there you are. Don’t tell anyone at LC I said so. There’s no bad blood between LC and the OXT project, they have amicably parted ways, forked their relationship if you will. :-) But obviously promoting a competing project on the list would be at the very least rude.

Bob S