CharToNum Depricated??

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Sep 17 11:32:41 EDT 2024

Thanks Bernd. But I finally figured out what the issue was. It seems that unless the output file is opened binary, any attempt to wrote to a file using any of the cr, lf or crlf keywords in LC will result in LC auto-converting them to cr, because that is the Macintosh standard. What I had to do is to use numToCodepoint() to create a variable containing ascii characters 13 and 10 (crlf) and then use that variable to end my lines.

The way I actually figured out what the issue was, is I downloaded Notepad++ for Windows which has the capability of showing non-printing characters, and it does not transparently cut convert files without informing the user, as Microsoft seems to think they have every right to take the liberty to do.

And without putting too fine a point on it, Livecode seems to take the same liberties. If I write lf to a file, I expect the file to contain lf and not cr! But at least there is a way around it.

Bob S