What video formats work on Windows?

Colin Holgate colinholgate at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:08:39 EDT 2024

The end goal is to be able to run a standalone, and some cards will have an external video file to play.

As that doesn’t work, I have a card in LC 10.0 authoring, where a Player object is linked to a local MP4. The MP4 plays fine in the Windows 11 player.

When I try to play the video file I get a ‘could not create movie reference’ message in the result.

I have tried set the dontuseqt to TRUE - but that didn’t help. I don’t mind if I end up having to have another copy of the video files to use on Windows, but what file types will work?

I didn’t find something about installing K-lite, and trying that does make the Player show the last frame of the video, but still the video won’t play, and I can’t assume everyone whose PC I might use would be willing to let me install extra codecs.