WebDeployHelper tool - the LC10 web app toolbox

Andreas Bergendal andreas.bergendal at gmail.com
Wed May 15 16:39:15 EDT 2024

Bill,

Well, for the basics, there is this LiveCode Lesson: https://lessons.livecode.com/m/4071/l/1496056-how-do-i-put-my-first-app-on-the-web-lc-10-and-later
It shows the basic/standard way of deploying a LiveCode stack to web.

The WebDeployHelper tool mainly hooks into the final steps of that process:
- If you click the Test button, a front script intervenes and sets up the html file that replaces the generic one, and then lets the IDE launch the test build
- When you build a standalone, instead of selecting ”Build standalone…” from the LC menu, you use the Build & upload tab of the tool

But just to get you started, this would be the minimum steps to take:
1a) Create a stack, put some controls on card 1 (whatever you want to test), and save it.
1b) Alternatively, open any existing stack that you want to test as a web app (not a too complex one at this stage).
2) Make sure only Web is ticked in the standalone builder settings. And as with all platform build cases, you need to select the relevant inclusions in the standalone builder settings.
3) Open WebDeployHelper stack and/or click the Refresh icon next to the Active stack menu button. Select your stack in the menu, if it is not already so.
4) Now you can just hit the Test button to see that your stack launches in a browser. If it did, then all is well - go back to WebDeployHelper and start exploring the features that can be modified or added. Rinse and repeat.

There is an in-stack help section for additional explanations, and most fields and buttons also have helpful tooltips.

I might consider also making a video or something, just to show a walkthrough of how it can be used. But I’ll see if (unpaid) time allows. My day job building bespoke software with LiveCode already takes up most of my screen time, so to speak… :)

/Andreas