Slow stack problem

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 27 23:01:35 EDT 2024

Thank Craig for your suggestion about replacing the Preferences file. No luck.

 I am down to going through line by line to find what process is taking so much time. I am now totally confused by finding that a handler which calls no handlers of mine, and simply has a repeat loop over just 32 short lines of text on each of which it does a matchChunk … takes 20 seconds!

repeat with i=2 to the number of lines of indexList

put line (i+1) of indexList into which

put "(^[0-9-]*\t" & which & ")" into regX

put false into found

repeat with k=lastFound+1 to the number of lines of fff

put matchChunk(line k of fff,regX,pos1,pos2) into found

if found then exit repeat

end repeat

if found then

put k into lastFound

end if

put lastFound into item i of mylineNumbers

end repeat

The same handler, same code, in a previous version of the offending stack, takes 0.06 seconds, both in the current 9.6.12 IDE, and using a standalone compiled under a previous LC version. I don’t understand how any of my code anywhere else in the stacks in use could affect the performance of an LC built-in matchChunk, which itself does not appear to have changed between versions (I certainly don’t redeclare matchChunk anywhere). I must be missing something.

Neville Smythe