Socket Packaging

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 24 18:07:08 EDT 2024

Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I don’t use SSL because I don’t like having to deal with certificates,
> and also because I use a method for encryption that I don’t think
> anyone else has thought of, or at least I can’t find any info online.

Encryption is half of what SSL offers, the other half being external validation that the server you're trying to reach hasn't been spoofed.

I used to roll my own but these days I have audit compliance to meet, so I just do things the OG way.

For those of you who need a cert on any modern Ubuntu, it's now a one-liner:

    sudo apt install certbot python3-certbot-apache

Run that, follow the prompts, and you're good to go in seconds.

Details:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-apache-with-let-s-encrypt-on-ubuntu-20-04

Of course it never hurts to do belt AND suspenders, so your encrpyted packaging can offer a second layer of protection for critical needs.

Richard Gaskin
FourthWorld.com