unsubscribing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 29 19:12:11 EDT 2024

Whether discussing the viability of the LC platform is "boring" compared to every list subscriber receiving email notifications of the comings and goings of one member, he may have a point.

The company appears firmly committed to their plans to replace it with a new platform. Any remaining details involving licensing fees have been requested to be handled in private.  Any implications for attracting newcomers haven't been part of this discussion.  And some of the business planning for folks uncertain about things may not involve using LiveCode at all.  So perhaps a use-livecode list isn't the best place.

If a consensus emerges that perhaps business planning conversations would be better handled elsewhere, I could dust off the forum at livecodejournal.com. Wouldn't take but a few minutes if enough people would prefer it.

But while we're here in a thread titled "unsubscribing", let's take just a moment to review this list's history.  Literally.  Take a look:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/

Look at the right-hand column.  That's the size of each month's conversation here. We used to measured list activity in number of posts per day.  Over the last year it's more easily measured in number of days between posts.

Take a scroll through the last time a month's archive was 1 MB:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2006-March/date.html

Look at all the names there, names of friends and colleagues who have moved on.  Some of moved on from this planet, like the venerable Brahmanathaswami.  Most have just moved on to something else.

They didn't just unsubscribe from this list.  They unsubscribed from the platform.

So let's please remain kind to one another, and continue to seek meaningful solutions for practical business needs on all sides.

If that can be done here, we're already here.  If it's better moved, we can move it.

--
Richard Gaskin
FourthWorld.com