I seem to have missed something

James At The Hales james at thehales.id.au
Thu Jul 25 20:37:06 EDT 2024

Perhaps it would help if there was a definition of a seat, re licensing.
There seems to be confusion in parts.

Making an app and selling it is fine, 5% of sale price per sale. Crystal clear.

But, making an app and distributing it for free (via app store of whatever) or within a company is muddled.

Some of Kevin’s replies seem to point to a cost for the distributed app equivalent to a “seat”.

This doesn’t make sense to me unless the distributed app is using LC resources (e.g web systems or AI).
I mean if the app is standalone (not using LC services) what does it matter if I give it freely to my friends or work colleagues? It is still a free app (from their point of view.)

Surely a “seat” refers to developers accessing the Create IDE, to make apps.
Not users of the app?

So shouldn’t a distinction be made between “developer seats” and client/user seats that do or not access LC services?

James