Livecode Future - Co-development use case

Sean Cole sean at pidigital.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 14:49:02 EDT 2024

Hi Kevin or any one else in the know

As you may know, I am kind of tied perpetually to Porrima who still has a
valid LC9 subscription (afaik) and, while I don't subscribe anymore since
my company's (& health's) demise, I still offer cleanup and updates for
bits I developed on their commercial software, built in LC5.0.2 (and still
works just fine, with a little TLS(ecurity) hack). This, I know, will not
be affected by LC Create.

I have two use-case questions:

My first question is based on the case that if I were to develop on the
LC9/LC10/Create versions of their software (which is needed to comply with
various other security needs), do I ONLY pay for MY seat to develop my bits
for them and THEY pay for both THEIR seats as required PLUS each end 'user'
of their software which they build from their seat?

As a quick follow-up to this, if the payment for end-users is never more
than 5% of the app revenue, and only applies to revenue 'directly'
generated by the app *if we use Create* to build apps for sale to the
'public' (by which I assume you mean any customer, business or public), not
LC9 or 10, what actual percentage are we looking at if we only sell to one
or two customers (small to medium businesses) who have sometimes just two
or three actual users? Transparently, without going into private messages
and conversations, what realistically are people (your customers) looking
at? Cards on the table.

The second is based on the scenario that those aforementioned customers
occasionally have up to 20 or 30 people using the software during busy
seasons. Do Porrima have to keep track and account for those fluctuations?
Do other LC developers have to keep track of how many buyers of their
software are still using it (by some kind of subscription or sign in
method) and then work out what percentage they owe to you. And then, if
they are on a free trial before getting a paid version, how does your
'phone home' system that people have been querying make allowance for those?

This could get very complicated very quickly, especially for the small
business just trying to get by but getting kicked out of business by yet
another "buy-in to our Kickstarter (or else) before getting a finished
product (maybe ever)" 'upgrade'. I'm trying to make this sound ok but I am
getting the sick taste of Deja vu. I'm mentally much better now but this
has been a bit of a trigger for me and, as I'm kinda forced into this
messed up mess, I'm not entirely ok. Is it going to be, like LC10, another
4-6 years before LC Create becomes an RTM/GA/GR/GM/Stable Production
release? Heck to that if that's the case.

Sorry it's long but I think it's obvious why.

Regards to all.

Sean Cole
Owner of Pi Digital Productions Ltd for 20 years before it's sad and
untimely death (some might say murder ;)).