.mp4 support in browser widget--Windows

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Jul 8 13:43:53 EDT 2024

As customers once had to download and install Quicktime for Windows to
use a wide variety of media in Revolution/Livecode Standalones under
Windows (XP, 7, 8.x, 10, 11), when QT for Win became obsolete, we just
switched to directing customers to download and install LAV Filters
instead. They do this as a separate install, done by the end user. So
far, this has not seemed to be an issue or inhibited adoption. It also
does not run afoul of any licensing issues with embedding LAV Filters in
a LC standalone.

Regardless, if you want media file parity with macOS on Windows in
Livecode and do not want to wait for whatever dp version of LC 10 might
have MMF in it, then you need to add a codec pack for DirectShow. There
are other options for additional DirectShow codecs to LAV Filters. I
can't recall any of them - just that we reviewed a bunch, most of which
were commercial and required licensing. LAV Filters was reliable,
functional, easy to install, and free. I'm not endorsing it for your
application or anyone else's, just noting what worked for us.