macOS window maximization weirdness

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Jan 15 18:16:31 EST 2024

I have a standalone, built with Livecode 9.6.11 STABLE, where for some
windows (stacks) on certain macOS versions, maximizing the window
results in no controls being drawn or most controls being drawn incorrectly.

It is not every resizable window (stack) in my app, just some. It is not
every version of macOS, just some. For example, on macOS Sonoma, the
offending windows (again, a subset of all my app's resizable windows)
work fine. On Mojave, they do not.

On Windows, they all work fine when maximized (meaning they are all
rendered as expected). On macOS and Windows, they all RESIZE (i.e. user
window resizing) correctly. It is only certain windows AND only on
certain versions of macOS, and only when maximized (using the titlebar
green maximize circular icon). In fact. you can RESIZE the window
manually on macOS Sonoma or Mojave up to the working area of the screen
(all so the full screen except the menubar) and they all render
correctly. It is just the "full screen" maximize Apple now does where it
hides the window's titlebar until you hover over where it would be that
have a problem and, again, just for certain windows on certain versions
of macOS.

I'm baffled as the resizeStack handlers are the same across platforms
(macOS and Windows). There is NOT platform specific code in the
resizeStack handlers and, I believe, that when a window is maximized,
Livecode just sends a resizeStack message.

Has anyone seen or heard of any weirdness like this?

I do not have a whole set of macOS version to test on. Sonoma and Mojave
are about it. I can compare the resizeStack handlers for the stacks that
maximize correctly with those that don't to see if there is some issue,
but they all work correctly on Windows and work correctly when manually
resized.