Livecode 10dp6 and web fonts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 28 15:46:07 EDT 2023

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > So this is sort of an informal poll among Livecoders who MAKE
 > multi-platform apps (defined as 2 or more platforms of (macOS,
 > Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Web)
 >
 > (A) Do you try to make your interfaces across platforms the
 > SAME (as much as possible)?
 >
 > OR
 >
 > (B) Do you TAILOR each interface for the specific platform (as
 > much as possible)?

The universe of software vast, and with games and other entertainment
software, and educational other edge cases, there are solid arguments
for a wide range of design priorities.

But when it comes to software for enhancing organizational productivity,
it may be useful to step back from our app and look at the context of use.

An app is one part of a multi-step workflow.  The user brings things
into our app space, does stuff with it there, and takes things produced
there for use elsewhere.

Word processors take in ideas and notes, and output print and web
documents.  Illustration tools take in visions and sketches and output
diagrams and pictures.  QDA software takes in interviews and other
source materials and outputs reports and analysis summaries.

With this in mind, a more user-centric question could be:

   Which number is larger:

   (A) Number of hours a given user will use one app across
       multiple operating systems.

   (B) Number of hours a given user will use multiple apps
       on a single operating system.

OS vendors have expended significant resources documenting the products
of their research into user interface guidelines.

And the LiveCode team has undertaken significant effort in the v9 series
to make delivery of OS-HIG-savvy apps easier than using just about
anything else.

I don't believe all of those resources were a waste of time.

Beyond the simple comparative exercise above, I arrived at my
appreciation for LC's xplat savvy following an email exchange I had a
few years ago with Bruce Tognazzini on one corner of this subject:
dialog button placement.

As you know, Mac dialogs put the default button at bottom-right, and Win
puts the default at bottom-left.

I asked him whether I should use button placement consistent with my app
or consistent with OS convention.

He described the research behind Apple's choice, and (tho we can expect
a certain bias since he directed that research), he presented a strong
cognitive argument favoring Apple's approach.

But on the question of consistency with user expectations borne of
immersion in an OS, even where the OS convention is arguably inferior,
he was equally clear:

     Consistency is far more important. Otherwise, users
     have to develop a very muddled rule that includes,
     "except sometimes."

 > And optionally, an opened ended question: Does your answer depend
 > of what platforms you are deploying for?

I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Look at LC itself, made in a mostly-Mac
office and more conformant with Mac conventions than with Win or Linux.

If you don't spend most of your time on Windows, you won't have
developed the same expectations as someone who uses it exclusively.

But consider this: how many times have we seen a Windows app ported to
Mac, and it's obviously a Windows port and it just doesn't feel right?

That's how Windows users see Mac ports that play fast and loose with
Windows UI conventions.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems