Pasting text and images together?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Sep 1 18:02:23 EDT 2023

If the App copying the mixed content places it on the clipboard as text
and an image vs some mixed type, you may be able to do this

Your have the on pasteKey message to trap CONTROL/COMMAND-V and if you
have a "Paste" menu item, you control the script for that.

the ClipboardData, the fullClipBoardData, and the rawClipboardData
arrays (see Dictionary entries for each of these) give you access to the
different elements on the clipboard. I epect the rawClipboardData will
not really apply to this goal, but whether the ClipboardData or
fullClipboardData would be better, I'm not sure

Essential for either the pasteKey or menu paste action, you scrip wants to

put the ClipboardData["text"] into tMyText -- the text copied to the
clipboard
put the ClipboardData["image"] into tMyImageData -- the text property of
an image object

As a test, you may need to write a small test handler

on pastekey
   local tClipArray, tFullClipArray
   put the ClipBoardData into tClipArray
   put the fullClipboardData into tFullClipArray
   breakpoint
end pasteKey

Copy mixed data to your clipboard from your 3rd party app, switch to a
test stack with the script above (not tested), and press the paste keys
for your OS. The IDE debugger should appear and let you look at the
arrays tClipArray and tFullClipArray to see how the data was translated
from your 3rd party app.