Comparative speed in switching among groups

David Epstein dfe4 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 25 17:35:07 EST 2023

Does anyone have practical experience or an understanding of the engine that would cast light on the relative speed of some alternative ways of doing things?  I want to switch among a number of different groups, each of which may contain its own fields, graphics, buttons, and images.  Possible approaches:

- Have many different cards, each with a group peculiar to it, and GO TO each card as desired, or

- Have one card, with many different groups, and SHOW/HIDE the groups as desired, or

- Have many different cards, each with a group peculiar to it, and COPY a group from an unseen card to a single card that is always seen (and DELETE the unwanted group on that single card).

There are other considerations that affect a choice among these methods, but my concern here is the speed with which I can switch from displaying one group to displaying another.   I am wondering whether at some level these methods all amount to the same thing from the engine’s point of view (since everything is in RAM in any case).

Many thanks.

David Epstein