Property Inspector bug for keys with commas in the key name

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun Nov 5 08:46:25 EST 2023

On 2023-11-03 20:21, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> You do make a good point about the documentation regarding custom
> properties. Assuming people read the documentation. At the same time,
> you used to be able to use commas in custom property names. As Curry
> noted, Livecode even used to use them in the standalone setting
> properties, so the mothership set a precedence.

The user guide's comments are really good advice *if* you want to access
your custom properties with `the X of` syntax - it is *this* kind of
access which is *not* possible if the custom property name is not an
identifier (i.e. something you can use as a variable or handler name).
(Remember that you can set the 'current' custom property set of an
object and use `the X of` syntax to access the keys of that too - and if
you do that, then any non-identifier keys are similarly not accessible).

So we haven't set a precedent by using commas in custom property names -
its in a custom property set *and* they are never accessed via `the X
of` syntax (only via `the SET[X] of` syntax) - and with such things
(where you are using the custom property set as an array of data) I
don't think the rule applies.

> It's not really a problem since I can do updates by script. It is more
> of just an annoyance.

I agree its an annoyance - and is something which is resolvable (i.e. by
adding a variant of the hilitedElement property of the treeview with one
which returns a sequence rather than a string).

Feel free to file a bug report about it and we'll put it on the list to
look at.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Build Amazing Things