XAVVI and app/code copyright

doc hawk dochawk at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:21:38 EDT 2023

I’m saying that in the US, it isn’t clear *that* there would be copyright protection for what the AI generated. The current caselaw for patents is that a machine can’t be a creator—but patent and copyright function differently (although I ultimately would expect the same answer for that particular question).

The changes made to the AI output would belong to the person that made them, regardless of the other answers.

But suppose that the AI output is subject to copyright.  If you took that, and changed it, and then someone asked the same or similar question, getting similar code from the AI, that wouldn’t be "derived from” your output from the same question, and thus would be separately eligible for copyright by that person.

Merely being identical is *not* a violation of copyright!