[semi OT] mySQL question

jbv at souslelogo.com jbv at souslelogo.com
Thu May 11 10:55:28 EDT 2023

Hi list,

This is a question for mySQL experts, which I am not.

I have a table of individuals.
I have another table of companies.

Many individuals have worked in more than 1 company with
different jobs descriptions.

I need to build my DB so that, with single requests, I
can get a list of either :
- all individuals who worked in a specific company with
the job description of each one
- all companies in which a specific individual has worked,
along with the job description he had in each company.

The main problem is that the tables might become huge with
the time (several Gb), so searching the tables might take
forever if not carefully built.

I guess I will need to use a third table for the job descriptions
and a combination of fulltext indexes and foreign keys
might do the trick, but my limited skills don't allow me
to find the best solution...

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

jbv