opencard and visual effect

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Wed May 3 11:35:13 EDT 2023

Hi Craig,

> Am 03.05.2023 um 15:29 schrieb Craig Newman via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> Klaus.
>
> That was fun.

WAS? :-D

> Oh yes, the point of this thread.  To me it seems that preOpenCard is sent before, and openCard is sent after the effect terminates.

Obviously not, take another look at my results from the Message Watcher:
preopencard 7:01:46 PM (0)
opencard 7:01:46 (3)
Three milliseconds, not ticks, difference for a visual effect with the "effectrate" set to 300?
It LOOKS like 300 milliseconds, but definitively not like 3 millseconds.
That would be a tiny flashing, if at all.

So what is wrong here?
the effectrate?
the message watcher?
openCard is sent after the effect terminates? The above results show the opposite.
Not?

Problem for me ist to measure the time until the user hits a key after a question
appears on the screen on the card.
And I start this on "opencard", so the VISUAL effect, what the user really sees,
MUST have been terminated, but obviously "opencard" does not respect this.
Or am I completely wrong here? Wouldn't be the first time...

As a workaround I'll leave the visual effect out, temporarily. 8-)

> The fact that you have 0 and 3 ticks

> is no different than having 0 and 125 ticks, The speed of the visual effect is not pertinent.
> Well, except for the speed of the visual effect. -;)
> Note pitiful “wink” emoji above.

Nudge, nudge! :-D

> Craig

Best