Debugging LiveCode Builder scripts (widgets)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Mar 30 12:32:54 EDT 2023

I'm trying to track down an obscure crashing bug in a widget.

With thanks to Mikey for
https://github.com/macMikey/LCB-missing-manual/wiki/debugging, I've mostly
been able to get by using 'log' as my primary debugging method, for all my
simple scripting errors.

However in this case the problem is that under certain circumstances
LiveCode/the widget hangs when new data is set. In this case (I'm reasonably
certain) the log messages that are issued are never reported. The standard
things seems to be that messages sent by 'log' are buffered, and reported when
idle.

Are there any tips for putting out debugging info from a widget that can
either be displayed/reported _immediately_ in LiveCode, or to some other app
so that I can get them up to the point that it hangs?

TIA, Ben