Tool for mapping and analysing handler dependencies

Andreas Bergendal andreas.bergendal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:08:10 EDT 2023

Hi guys,

I’ve made a stack/tool that goes through any stacks you throw at it and maps their script handlers, then checks which handlers are calling which, displaying handler chains and interdependencies etc.

https://github.com/wheninspace/WIS_ScriptDepedencies

The purpose is to find out which are you most ”popular” handlers and how many other handlers are, directly or indirectly, dependent on them. Or in other words: How many handlers might malfunction if you alter or remove those crucial ones…

To get a relevant analysis, include all stacks belonging to one project, i.e. the main stack(s) and any library stacks and behaviour stacks connected to them.

The result is presented in various views in the stack, but I’ve also included a rudimentary report export (to plain text file), which could be further developed if relevant.

I’m not sure how useful such a tool is to most of you, but I sure found it fun and interesting to run it on various LiveCode projects and get insights into the interdependencies and complexity of all the scripts. So I thought I'd share it. :)

I welcome any feedback!

/Andreas