Livecode Hosting

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Fri Mar 3 08:36:11 EST 2023

Hi

I have had to think about this recently as I am looking at setting up a new backend for a service that I need to follow the Data protection rules in Canada.

BTW - ’Safe third country’ would be more grammatically correct in English than ’save third country’.  However I checked to see if that is the terminology they use but I after a brief search I could not find that phrase.

I the term I found is not 'safe’ but ‘adequate’.

E.g.
Adequacy decisions
The European Commission has the power to determine, on the basis of article 45 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 <http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2016.119.01.0001.01.ENG&toc=OJ%3AL%3A2016%3A119%3ATOC>whether a country outside the EU offers an adequate level of data protection.
The European Commission has so far recognised Andorra, Argentina, Canada (commercial organisations), Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Israel, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Switzerland , the United Kingdom under the GDPR and the LED, and Uruguay as providing adequate protection.

https://commission.europa.eu/law/law-topic/data-protection/international-dimension-data-protection/adequacy-decisions_en

I think that choice of term is because as we all know data is never ’safe’ which implies an absolute.  To say it is ‘adequate’ implies that there is a standard to meet but does not guarantee 100% safety.

For the Canadian Government certain data must be hosted in Canada, ie health data.  Your health data on an AWS S3 server in Virginia could be subpoenaed by US Law enforcement.  There is a data centre in Montreal but I don’t know if hosting it there would be enough protection.  Since the parent company is in the US I wonder if there would still be exposure to US law.  Also I don’t know whether data in Montreal is backed up to other locations in the US or other centres in the world.

Last I looked the Livecode hosting service has a location in Toronto.  I need to look into whether the fact that Canada has an agreement with the EU regarding data protection means that even if my data was hosted or backed up Europe that I could still use the LiveCode Hosting service location in Toronto.

Martin