Android Signing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 20 15:41:14 EDT 2023

On 6/19/23 5:29 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> I am trying to update an Android app that was previously release on the Google Play Store.   When I went to upload the Bundle, I got this message:
>
> “To upload an Android App Bundle you must be enrolled in Play App Signing.”
>
> With a little research, I found the App Signing area under “App Integrity”.   I tried to follow the directions, but I just get errors.  Anyone done this?  If so, do you have any guidance on this?

I had to do this last week with an update to an existing published app on Google Play. Do you
have your original signing key for the app? You'll need that first. Sign your app as usual with
the original key.

Then look at this:
<https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing#enroll_existing>

I can't review the necessary Terminal command because I already went through the process and it
isn't available to me now. But originally it gave the command to generate the Play Store
signing key. I already had a pepk.jar file from before and I used that. I put it into the same
directory with Java because I didn't know how else to do it.

The Terminal command Google provided starts like this:
java -jar pepk.jar --keystore=<yourKeystore.jks> --alias=<your keystore alias> --output=<create
a file name> --encryptionkey=<huge long hex number>

At what point are you getting the errors? My main issue was in getting Terminal to find Java,
it took me a couple of hours and some research to get the path to Java to work. I know almost
nothing about Terminal.

Let us know where you get stuck, though I can't promise I can help. I congratulate Google on
making Android submissions nearly as difficult as iOS. We need an LC lesson this this.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com