Reorder fields

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Sat Jul 29 10:27:44 EDT 2023

Hi

The tab order will follow the field’s layer from lowest to highest. (Or from highest to lowest if you hold down the SHIFT key while tabbing just like other apps.)

So as you said with your original fields they will tab in this order.

field “a" - Layer 9
field ”c" - Layer 12
field “b" - Layer 15

Craig you said...

> whereas changing the layer order explicitly does not (work)

How were you trying to change the layer?

I didn’t know that dragging in the project browser works to order the objects.  I will have to check that out.

The two ways I have used are either with the property inspector  or by script.

Property Inspector
- click the ‘Position’ tab of the property inspector
- Change the number in the ‘Layer’ field either directly or by using the arrow keys.

In your case I would first select field ‘b’ and then bump up its layer to 10.

field “a" - Layer 9
field “b" - Layer 10
field ”c" - Layer 12

Then I would first select field c’ and then bump up its layer to 11. This is to prevent the focus going to object with layer 11 before going to object with later 12.  The user will think the tab key did not work and have to tab again.

field “a" - Layer 9
field “b" - Layer 10
field ”c" - Layer 11

That of course will reorder tabbing behaviour or overlapping of other objects between layer 9 and 15 which may or may not lead to unwanted results.

Sometimes it can get crazy trying to figure out the order that is correct.

Here is a script you can use to quickly show the fields’ layers as their values and put the fields names in their tooltips.

command showFieldsLayers

     repeat with tfieldNumber = 1 to the number of fields of this card

          put "Layer: " & the layer of field tfieldNumber into field tfieldNumber

          set the tooltip of field tfieldNumber to the name of field tfieldNumber

     end repeat

end showFieldsLayers

Set Layer by Script

The other way to set the layer of an object is to do it by script in the message box.

     set the layer of field "A" to 3

Have a good weekend all.

Martin Koob