Check connection and timeout

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Jul 14 12:21:34 EDT 2023

Hi Ludovic.

I use a simple method of sockets to determine if I have a connection to a host. I close the socket first:

closeSocket 127.0.0.1:3306

Then I open the socket:

Open socket to 127.0.0.1:3306
Put the result into tError

If terror begins with “ERROR: “ then
   — your code here
End if

Then close the socket again.

Close socket 127.0.0.1:3306

I find this to be the most reliable way to check a connection. I may not have internet, but the host may not be on the internet it may be local. Also, sockets will always work whereas ICMP can be blocked by a firewall. And simply trying to connect to a host will, as you have noticed bring timeouts into play.

Bob S