Training the AI to write better LiveCode

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 17:40:37 EST 2023

Those only interested in LiveCode, click "next" now.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 10:40 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

>     After all, the Codex had been trained on billions of
>     publicly available source code lines – including code
>     in public repositories on GitHub. That included, among
>     other things, all of the Apache Foundation's many
>     projects' code.
> https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/11/githubs_copilot_opinion/
>

>     Stability Diffusion, Midjourney, and DreamUp were
>     trained on copyrighted materials without credit,
>     compensation, or consent, according to a new lawsuit.
>
> https://www.pcmag.com/news/artists-sue-ai-art-generators-for-copyright-infringement

My not-a-lawyer understanding is that this lawsuit is almost guaranteed to
fail. Just from a conceptual perspective, human artists have access to the
same copyrighted material (albeit not the ability to ingest *all* of it)
and even the ability to mimic it for their own edification. It's the act of
publishing similar work that is problematic. And it's going to be fun for
the lawyers to sort out who's at fault if I use Stable Diffusion to create
a corporate christmas card that happens to resemble the Coca-Cola polar
bears.

 > We're a very long way from attempting to write all apps in assembler
>  > using this sort of AI.
>
> Are we?  As late as my teens I was still reading science mags saying
> "Well, AI is going to be a big deal, but no machine will ever beat a
> human at something as complex as chess."
>
> Big Blue beat world chess champion Garry Kasparov less than two decades
> later.
>
> So the goalpost moved, with explanations like "Well, chess is ultimately
> a memorization task, but no computer can ever beat a human at something
> as abstract and intuitive as Go".
>
> Google's DeepMind beat Go champion Lee Se-dol in 2019.
>
> I would caution against underestimating how CS advancements accelerate
> further CS advancements.

If anything I think those examples undersell how quickly this is going to
proceed. I'll be very surprised if GPT-X (not an actual name) isn't
human-capable for a broad range of programming tasks by 2025.

So how'd that First Industrial Revolution turn out? ;)

I know you're just being cheeky here, but to make it explicit and let
others disagree if they wish: the First Industrial Revolution turned out
*great*. "Some economists have said the most important effect of the
Industrial Revolution was that the standard of living for the general
population in the western world began to increase consistently for the
first time in history" (others say it began right after). "Economic
historians are in agreement that the onset of the Industrial Revolution is
the most important event in human history since the domestication of
animals and plants." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution