Training the AI to write better LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 21 14:13:01 EST 2023

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > Microsoft thinks it's a good idea. They'll eventually own 49% of
 > ChatGPT when talks are finalized.

<https://www.yahoo.com/now/microsoft-msft-might-invest-10b-161704165.html>

No doubt. The power to control a content engine that valuable is
enticing to the few in a position to bid for it.

Back in 2017, Andre posted an OT note here on this list that garnered
only one reply despite its scope and significance:

    [OT] The Internet is Living on Borrowed Time
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-December/243374.html

The article he linked to there is still available:
https://staltz.com/the-web-began-dying-in-2014-heres-how.html

As one who studies social media memetics (the sociology of idea spread,
as opposed to "memes" GIFs), Andre's post altered the course of much of
my reading since.

We live in a world that no longer merely enjoys the Internet, but is
increasingly dependent on it. McLuhan's vision of "Global Village" was
inspired by broadcast television; the Internet's two-way communication
should more than fulfill that optimistic view.

But along the way we've arrived at a historical moment when we finally
have this vast global communications network, yet most of what travels
across this public infrastructure is under the control of fewer than a
dozen corporate leaders.

8 billion voices, curated by about 10.

So if my participation in tech discussions seems preoccupied with
concerns about ethics and equity, about the relationship between value
and values, blame it on Andre. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems