ChatGPT examples

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:26:01 EST 2023

I'm sure someone has done the work to create a more efficient algorithm for
this. Off the top of my head if I were trying to  I'd probably do something
like:

1. Grab two points at random (in case the points are pre-sorted in some
way) and get the distance.
2. Assume that's a reasonable average distance between points.
3. Define that as the number to beat, and define a grid based on it.
4. Go through all the points, tossing them into buckets based on the grid.
I'd define the buckets as fully overlapping to avoid missing close pairs.
5. The size of the grid buckets is critical: too big and you do too much
work. Too small and you end up with all singletons in the buckets. This
would require some experimentation and thought.
6. Go through the buckets only comparing the points within them.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 10:14 AM Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <