ChatGPT examples

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:02:20 EST 2023

I tested three use cases, with variations, using ChatGPT for (live)code
generation. There was a lot of back and forth. In the end, I solved all the
problems I set, but in some cases I had to hold ChatGPT's hand pretty
tightly.

That said, I learned some things as well -- about LiveCode. ChatGPT's code
for Fizz Buzz was faster than mine.

My code was faster for reversing lines. But ChatGPT, when asked to "make
the code faster" gave several suggestions, some of which were wrong or
impossible, but one of them was my method, and when I said "write that
option" it did, with only a few corrections needed.

And one of the ideas, while wrong, caused me to think of a different way to
solve the problem, and that way ended up being faster than my original
solution by over 3x on reversing 10k lines. Getting ChatGPT to write this
new method was *hard*.

In any case, I wrote it all down in a google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W3j5WaFhYZaqSt0ceRQj8j160945gSwG_nyZsCBP6v4/edit?usp=sharing>.
If you're curious, have a read. That URL is open for comments/edit
suggestions. If you have any I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Geoff