Linux filenames in LC Server

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Aug 14 07:30:09 EDT 2023

On 2023-08-14 12:12, matthias rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> when i read Neville's post i thought also about normalize, although i
> really do not have a clue about the whole unicode stuff, but i
> remembered that the standalone builder make use of the normalize
> function. ;)
>
> So i used this script on LC Server to write the seconds to a file
> containing an a-umlaut in its name.
>
> put  normalizeText("testä.txt", "NFC") into tFile
> put the seconds into URL ("binfile:"&tFile)
> put the result
> put "<br><br>"
> put the files
> put "<br><br>"
> put tFile
>
> But that does not work. "The result" returns 'can't open file'.

Hmmm - I must confess that I misread Neville's post - he did explicitly
mention 'creating' files... The normalization would only arise if the
file already existed, but the requested (incoming) filename was
normalized differently (thus resulting in the file not being found).

So assuming that the defaultFolder is accessible in your above script
(as a read-only folder would also cause the same error) then there does
appear to be something up here...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Build Amazing Things