How to loop through stacks with same name?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 6 15:28:01 EDT 2023

Closing a stack is different from deleting a stack. Deleting gets rid of it
completely as you'd expect. Closing a stack removes it from view, removes
it from the message path, and does everything a deleted stack does *except*
it is kept in memory. The window structure and stack content are retained,
the stacks are listed in the mainstacks (but not the openStacks) and appear
in the IDE Window menu. Back in the day, this was to allow stacks to
re-open quickly. With today's computers that's not really necessary any
more, though it is useful if you have scripts that refer to other stacks
often but you don't want them visible or in the message path. I have a
multi-stack project that jumps from one stack to another. Their
destroyStack property is false so when I close the stacks they are not
deleted, which keeps them available and avoids excessive disk access.

To completely remove a stack, use "delete" (note that the File menu offers
"close and remove from memory -- two different actions.) At least,
theoretically. I've never had trouble with deletion but apparently there's
a bug in there somewhere.

Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
On April 6, 2023 1:57:40 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode