Weird performance issue

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:43:45 EDT 2022

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:08 AM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <

> On 9/23/22 10:40, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> > It may be related to the size of the stack. LC would have to load it all
> > into memory before checking the cards. Also, do the results change if
> > you lock messages?
>
> You also do a *lot* of work on both opening the stack and opening the
> card. And looping through that many times in your test. Your loop test
> doesn't really simulate real-world conditions for Navigator, so I don't
> think I'd worry about it too much.
>
> --
>   Mark Wieder
>   ahsoftware at gmail.com

Why would the stack be opened, or the card, just checking existence? And
why would that happen each time rather than once?

FYI for all tests the stacks are already open.

And: Navigator until the version I'm working on now did exactly this when
getting a list of the card names I have no idea why I coded it that way,
but checking that method vs. getting the number of cards and then getting
the names based on that was what let me to notice this.

thanks!

gc