lcb missing manual

Brian Milby brian at milby7.com
Sat Sep 10 21:47:31 EDT 2022

I guess I never answered the original question:

The editor type isn't a LCB thing.  Those are a part of the IDE.  Here is
the path from the open source repository:
.../livecode/ide/Toolset/palettes/inspector/editors/
You should also be able to find them in your local install of LC.
/Applications/LiveCode/LiveCode 9.6.9 (rc
1).app/Contents/Tools/Toolset/palettes/inspector/editors/
I agree that they should be documented somewhere.  Looking at the names
there, most that you would use are probably fairly evident.

The LiveCode Builder Style Guide/Widget specific guidelines covers the 4
entries needed to use many of the PI editors.  There is one in a widget
that could be useful though "user_visible" - this property is not displayed
in the PI but is available to get/set.  "options" looks to be specific to
the "enum" editor.

The Extending Livecode Guide covers the 4 that are needed for the widget as
a whole.  It does look like there are a few additional ones used in widgets
that are not mentioned that should be included in the docs (os, svgicon,
preferredsize, userVisible, _ide).

I tend to be fairly adept at reading and understanding code - even if I
don't know the syntax well enough to write it.  So I didn't really read the
documentation to learn LCB (but referenced the syntax and style guide as
needed), but read the widgets that I was working on.  As such, the things
you are having difficulty finding didn't really impact my efforts.  I was
mainly extending the widget and was just copying existing code as a model
when adding things (properties and handlers).  About the only thing that
really tripped me up was aliased properties.  You have to define the main
property and then alias works.  If you define the alias, then it doesn't
work (TreeView widget - scroll vice vscroll).  Considering all of this, I
consider all of the included LCB source code as part of the documentation
for LCB.

I'll add some comments to your "issues"

Thanks,
Brian

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 3:49 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <