debugging javascript in html5

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Mar 18 07:34:22 EDT 2022

On 2022-03-18 10:44, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode wrote:
> Considering the html5 enhancements might well be the biggest thing in
> LC
> 10, I can foresee a whole world of pain when it comes to us debugging
> Javascript interactions.

Yes - this is somewhat painful at present - and we do hope to make
debugging web standalones in general less painful in time.

However, if you 'Test' your web standalone in a browser you can then
open up the Developer Tools for the browser you are testing in - which
gives you access to the JS console and all the other tools.

In JS you can use `console.log(...);` to have messages emitted to the JS
console.

Additionally, I *think* you can use `debugger;` to have JS code break
into the debugger in said browser's developer tools. I must confess I've
not tried this myself (as our debugging is usually debugging the engine
running in the browser, rather than debugging JS executed from the
engine running the browser) - but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps