M1 Macs and LC 9.6.8 RCs and 10.0.0 RCs

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jun 21 05:56:03 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-20 20:55, matthias rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Anyway, the macOS Apple support is currently experimental, i am pretty
> sure there will be such an option in future. At least i hope so. ;)

Why?

The idea of universal binaries is to ensure that a single app/installer
can be shipped to users and that will then use the 'best' it can for
their machine. They provide a much better end-user experience than
Windows or Linux provide in this regard.

Whilst you might not have many users using Apple architecture machines
right now, you don't know when they might upgrade, so universal binaries
mean that when a user upgrades their machine, their apps they already
have (backed up, more than likely, and re-imaged on the new machine)
will continue to take advantage of their hardware.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I should point out that Apple architecture support *is*
experimental, so its fine to include and seed to users for testing
purposes, but I wouldn't include one in final shipping releases just
yet.

P.P.S. That being said, the only Apple architecture related bug we have
had reported recently is related to standalone building itself (and is
related to macOS High Sierra - 10.13 - and below *not* supported arm64
slices in some of the command-line tools the S/B uses) - and I fully
expect the experimental tag to be removed by final release of 10 (and
the corresponding 9.6.x maintenance release just after that).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps