Generating Random numbers to conform a distribution

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 8 01:50:28 EDT 2022

David V Glasgow wrote:

 > Quite a lot of stats and maths packages offer a feature whereby the N,
 > the Mean and the SD are variables specified by the user, and N random
 > numbers are then generated with the required mean and SD.  I remember
 > the venerable and excellent Hypercard  HyperStat
 > <https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.3758/BF03204668.pdf> (1993)
 > by David M Lane doing exactly that.
 >
 > In general terms, how do they do this?

Mark Waddingham would be able to answer that rather excellently, if he
has the time.

My only contribution here is that I found the paper you linked to
interesting enough to look up the HyperStat author.  Apparently he's
grown a rather intriguing collection of fun things of that sort - I
wonder if the answer to your question might be found among them?

https://www.davidmlane.com/hyperstat/index.html

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems