Case sensitivity in Livecode ??

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jun 7 03:18:06 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-01 19:54, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
>> Also, you'll be able to do things like:
>>
>>     constant kPiBy2 = pi / 2
>>     constant kPiBy2Squared = kPiBy2 * kPiBy2
>>     constant kPiBy2String = format("%f", kPiBy2)
>>     local sPiMap = { "pi-by-2": kPiBy2, "pi-by-2-sq": kPiBy2Squared }
>>
> Very good. In fact, great !! Thank you!
>
> Would you be ale to do something like
>
> constant kPiMap = { ... as above ... }

Yes - the initializers in both constant and local keywords are the same
- both can use arbitrary constant expressions (any local properties are
assumed to be the default values when evaluating).

> And now I'll push my luck and ponder the possibility of 'global'
> constants.

Haha...

> OK - 'global constant' is likely counter to the scope concepts. But
> perhaps they could be done as "write-once" variables, or as a more
> general "write-protected' variable.
>
>    put 17 into gkMyMagicValue
>    writeprotect "gkMyMagicValue"
>
> and any *subsequent* attempt to change the value would fail.

How is that any better than putting something like this in a library or
back script:

     function gkMyMagicValue
         return 17
     end gkMyMagicValue

Including the global declaration its the same number of lines (indeed
less, as you'd need to put a global declaration in every script which
wanted to use said global constant...).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps